Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Week 3: New listening activities

Today I tried some listening activities with the 10th and 11th grade students who study fashion design. I tried a listening exercise called "CLOTHING STYLES" in  www.esl-lab.com.  After telling them the title, I saw that they started to be very enthusiastic about the exercise and in a way they were also motivated.
According to an article  that I read about improving listening skills in http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk, it is enormously important to motivate the students before starting with listening activities with a text that they will find interesting and will arouse their interest and curiosity.

As a pre-listening activity, I introduced the students to the quiz text. So, we did some vocabulary exercises by reading the text and learning new words about clothes.
During the listening activity, they had to click at one of the multiple choices. While doing the exercise, I saw that even some students who usually do not feel very confident in English classes, were able to finish the listening exercise with a good percentage. They said this was helpful to them because the topic seemed interesting and caught their attention.
Unfortunately, this listening activity was performed by only one computer as there aren't any computer labs at school yet. So, students performed this exercise one by one, and they said that they enjoyed more this exercise by doing it through the computer.

However, today I learned that in order to make students to get the most of our classes is to be able to motivate them.

  I hope that in the near future the schools in Kosovo will start to be digitized and it will be possible to teach students the language through the web.  But, of course, also I as a teacher still need to improve my teaching skills through the web.



 In this link you can find a framework for planning a listening skills lesson
http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/articles/a-framework-planning-a-listening-skills-lesson







1 comment:

  1. Wow Blerta, you are already using what you have learned in our course! That`s really nice and thank you for the feedback on your students`response to the proposed activity! As I have mentioned in Nicenet, one the best things we are gaining in this course is the experience trying out so many different tools. We can only evolve if we take chances and learn how to adapt it to our realities! I haven`t tried any of the learned tools with my students but your post just got me excited about the possibility. great job!

    ReplyDelete